Chris Powell has an expertise for dealing with road transport law and motoring defence cases. He advises and represents haulage and PSV operator licence holders and drivers on all road transport regulatory matters, often appearing at Public Inquiry and Driver Conduct Hearings before the Traffic Commissioner in every Traffic Region.
Chris works very closely with clients during DVSA (VOSA) investigations, including attending and advising clients during interviews under caution conducted by both the DVSA and the police, and goes above and beyond for his clients to ensure they get the best outcome possible.
He has extensive experience defending transport and motoring clients on a wide range of matters, including tachograph, drivers hours, false records, and overloading offences and regularly appears at the Magistrates’ Courts across England and Wales.
Chris has particular experience acting for large European hauliers and transport undertakings on cross border matters and specialises in challenging civil penalties and LEZ penalties as well as responding to urgent vehicle seizure matters.
Chris is a well respected solicitor in the wider transport industry, and has written articles for numerous trade publications including: Commercial Motor, Coach and Bus Week, Transport Operator and Transport Engineer to name a few.
Qualifications & Experience
Chris qualified from Sheffield University with a First Class degree and received a Distinction on his Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School. He completed his training contract in April 2016 at a large multi-disciplinary firm. He joined Rothera Sharp in June 2019.
Areas of Specialism
- Traffic Commissioner Public Inquiries
- DVSA and police investigations and interviews
- Driver Conduct Hearings
- Operator licence regulatory compliance
- Tachograph and drivers’ hours offences
- Vehicle impounding hearings
- Operator licence applications and variations
- Challenging London Low Emission Zone penalties
- Customs / HMRC / Border Force vehicle seizures
- Challenging civil penalties for clandestine entrants (migrant penalties)
Magistrates Court Advocacy
- Tachograph and drivers hours offences
- False records
- Exceptional hardship arguments
- Special reasons arguments
- All other motoring defence matters