Laura Newton is an expert in dealing with transport and motoring prosecutions. Laura spent a number of years as a Court Legal Adviser advising Magistrates within the Courts Service in respect of evidence, procedure and sentencing.
Laura also represents operators, transport managers and drivers and deals with Traffic Commissioner public inquiries and driver conduct hearings. She is experienced in making representations to the Office of the Traffic Commissioner. Laura also has experience of working for the Home Office and has successfully made representations to the Border Agency in respect of civil penalties for the carriage of clandestine entrants for transport companies.
Qualifications & Experience
Laura has 10 years’ experience in the Magistrates’ Courts dealing with motoring prosecutions and regulatory law and more recently assisting businesses and professional drivers and defending many thousands of motorists. Laura qualified as a solicitor in 2010 and completed her degree in law at the University of Central Lancashire. She worked as a Presenting Officer in the Tribunal for the Home Office from 2006 and then as a Legal Adviser for Her Majesty’s Court Service for over nine years between 2008 and 2015. Laura joined Rothera Sharp as a transport solicitor in 2015. Laura became an associate in June 2017.
Areas of Specialism
- Representation in Magistrates’ and Crown Courts
- Traffic Commissioners’ Disciplinary and Environmental Public Inquiries
- Motorist Defence & all Road Traffic Offences
- Prosecutions for Goods & PSV Operators & Drivers
- Advocacy at Trials, Appeals and Plea Hearings
- Operator Licensing & Regulatory Compliance
- Civil Penalties & Stowaways
- International / Carriers Liability
- Vehicle Seizures
- Driving Licence Entitlements and Totting Up
- DVSA Investigations
- Representation at Coroners’ Inquests
- Health & Safety
- Environment Agency Prosecutions